Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Changes

Are there any good reasons to change churches? I believe there are. A life-change may bring about a need to change. For instance, if you get married, and your spouse had gone to a different church than you. I would think you would both want to worship in the same church, so one—or both—are going to need to make a switch.  Likewise, if you go through a divorce, I doubt you will want to stay in the same church as your ex. Awkward.

I suppose if there is a huge doctrinal shift in your church or in your denomination that you just cannot abide, you may feel the need to make a change. But even there I would be very cautious.  Just what church is going to have perfect doctrine, at least your version of “perfect”?

Is it important to stay in the same church for a long period of time? Or is church-swapping a right all Americans have? Now that I mention it, is this a unique problem for American churches, or do people in other countries change their church allegiance as frequently as Americans do?

Perhaps I am just old-fashioned. Perhaps I am hopelessly out-of-date. I do realize that at times God is going to come on some and lead people to another church.  God can and does lead some to do things we might question.  But I think these are the exceptions. (And if God is in the leading, it is an exception you must follow.)   For the most part,  I think we imperfect people need to select an imperfect church and stay there.

My husband and I have been blessed to be a part of our church since the beginning.  We started out in a office building of a Trustee for two weeks, moved to a mall within 3 weeks, and built a new building within 3 years.  Currently our church is at year 6 and have had our share of issues as with any church.

So it is with heavy hearts that my husband and I have made a decision to change churches. This wasn't anything we take lightly, we even resisted the Lords gentle push.  After several weeks on bended knees and prayers.  Larry and I realized it is time that we change churches.

I'm so excited to see what church the Lord has in store for us in the future, a new journey begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment