Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Time in Tennessee

Yes, it's that time of year when people try and make the perfect Christmas happen.  What many people don't get is, life happens, and life will get in the way of what you think is perfect.  Everyone is so busy purchasing gifts, buying the perfect tree, baking goodies, attending parties, shopping, and more shopping.  We've all bought into some of the marketing of Christmas.  Oh yes, we've all done it!  Who hasn't hoped that the gift they got for that special someone is opened this year and turns out to be just what they wanted?  How many people have over-spent, because they saw a commercial which offered the item you were sure someone needed?  What has happened to the Celebration of Christ in this holiday?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to Bible thump you, or say something like - providing something nice for your family and friends is wrong.  I just think that we are all a little guilty of losing the meaning from time to time.

This Christmas season, since my husband and I aren't involved as we have been in past years with a church program, I tried to bring the true meaning back in our own hearts this year.  We've been so busy putting everyone else first this year, and we've not taken time for us.  So in an effort to carve out a little time for just us, I suggested we attend a Choir performance or three.

First up, was The Candle Light Service of Lessons & Carols presented by The Roueche Chorale & Orchestra last Friday night at Bascilica of St. Peter & Paul.  It was a lovely service that reached across all sections of the cities and different religious groups. 

Second up, last night we went to the Tivoli where we were blessed to watch our youngest granddaughter Lilly Grace perform with her church adult choir.  She was so good, and when the children returned to their seats and the adults finished the program, I kept hearing a slight echo. I wasn't sure, since the sound system the church was using was their own and not the Tivoli's.  There were some sound adjustments when the program first started.  As the evening drew to a close, I realized that it was Lilly sitting beside me singing softly, singing every word to the adult's program.  What was really so wonderful is she sounded absolutely beautiful.  She had perfect pitch, I honestly thought it was an echo from one of the lead singers who was still holding a mic.  I was amazed to find it was our own little angel sitting beside me.

Larry and I were both truly blessed by both of these programs.  We've got to get involved again.  Larry needs to sing.  Oh, did I not mention my husband has one of the most beautiful voices in this town?  I miss him singing solos. 

Third up, tonight we will go to Northgate Mall where we will hear the Red Bank Baptist Church Orchestra perform Christmas favorites.  A treat tonight is one of our motorcycle buddies, Jerry Haddock, is in the orchestra and plays percussion.  We really enjoy listening to this talented group of people.

Here's a photo of Ms. Lilly singing last night.  She is in the front row, black dress, center of the harp.


I hope and pray that each of you find a special place to be this year at Christmas.  We will be at home enjoying the love and fellowship of family.  What will everyone remember later in life?  The time spent with family and friends, not the gift they got this year.  Please find time for family and your friends this holiday season.  Pick up the phone just to check in, drop by for a few minutes-doesn't have to be 1/2 day, enjoy the people in your life.  You will blink one day, and they will be gone.

Enjoy this Christmas, smile, don't get stressed out, hold the little ones, hug the big ones.  Just be yourself and have some fun!  MERRY CHRISTMAS.


1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Teresa...sounds as if you are getting in the spirit! Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment!!

    ReplyDelete